BGA Member Shoots Continue To Go Ahead

The British Game Alliance has been contacting their members to see what next season looks like for shoots.

In a survey conducted by the British Game Alliance (BGA) to its shoot members, 70% plan to shoot this season and have begun preparations. In light of Coronavirus and current social distancing measures set out by the UK government, the upcoming shooting season is likely to feel the strain of the uncertainty around how long these measures will be in place, but it’s great to see the shoots positivity. 


The BGA conducted a survey with its members in order to share an early indication of what shoots are planning to do this season, beginning as early as August 12th. To date, 332 members have responded, and the following information has been compiled from that data.  


70% of surveyed BGA members are shooting this season, with 25% of those shooting running a full shooting calendar, with the other 75% running a reduced operation, with an average drop of 35% in numbers of birds being released. When looking at grouse moors, 90% plan to go ahead with many expecting/planning to push back the start of their season. Like with the larger commercial shoots, the grouse moors rely on overseas clients who are proving reluctant to commit to deposits and their days. 


Looking at shoot size, 83% of the BGA’s £1,000 shoot membership (annual bag size of 10K+) and 70% of the £500 shoot membership (annual bag size of 3K – 10K) are shooting. As a total view of the surveyed membership, a further 18% are currently unsure and 12% have taken steps to cancel this season. The larger commercial shoots have taken a big hit in days booked, the medium sized commercial shoots, seem to be the largest category stopping shooting. However, it seems private and syndicated shoots are pushing ahead. 


Sam Adams, BGA Shoot Account Manager said,

“With all the uncertainty in the industry, it’s great to see that 70% of our members will be shooting this year. The average drop in numbers released of 35% stacks up with other sectors in the supply chain from game farms to feed mills. The BGA continues to encourage guns to support their shoots by paying deposits, enabling them to continue in some capacity.” 

Any shoots concerned about the current situation can contact the BGA on for advice, or a chat in confidence, with a member of the team.